New Years Pantry Purge

After last nights rocky night I was rethinking my plans for a pantry purge to start the new year...but then I remembered the 3 boxes of food supplies in the garage.  Phew!  And so on I go.  Kev and I are looking to eradicate the last of our debt this year.  I think we are doing pretty well on one income but we would like to be completely debt free and this year we have set ourselves that target.  When I think about the amount I spend on food, I am amazed at the things I buy 'just in case', to ensure the pantry is fully stocked.  We are moving house in a couple of weeks so what better time to empty out the pantry than now?  The challenge: to buy as little as possible over the next two weeks and use what we have.  And I reckon I'll be surprised.

So, Day 1: I combined a couple of recipes I have read lately and made a Morrocan Chickpea Tomato dish - I haven't got a name for it but any suggestions are welcome!  I had all these things in the pantry except for the morrocan spice (hard to believe as I do have a HUGE range of spices).  Now, normally I would head down to the supermarket and buy this.  Instead, I got on the internet and found a recipe for making your own Moroccan Spice, which you can find here.  And it was delicious!


Morrocan Chickpea Tomato Thingy
2C diced roasted kumara
1 large onion, diced
1 tsp garlic
2tsp moroccan spice
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 can diced or whole tomatoes
1C chicken stock (I use the powder and water kind, but any will do)


Dice kumara, drizzle with oil and roast in oven while preparing the rest.
Cook onion and garlic until soft.  Add spice mix and saute for 2 mins.  Add chickpeas, tomatoes and chicken stock.  Simmer for 15mins.  Take out kumara and stir through chickpea mixture.

Serve in bowls with plain yoghurt, chopped coriander, and warm turkish flat bread (leftover from last nights BBQ).  I was going to add spinach or silverbeet but my garden has gone to seed.  A salad might go well with this too.  I have also added cooked chicken before - yum!
So, what would you entitle this dish?
0 Responses